Thursday, January 24, 2013

DIY Rope Mirror.

Since I've been gone, I really have been doing stuff around here.  I've done quite a few projects and this is one of my very favorites. It probably took me half an hour per mirror (I made two).  This is a seriously simple DIY rope framed mirror.

Here's how I did it:
Gather your materials. I used a cheap mirror from Ikea (9.99!), some rope from Home Depot, and a glue gun.  The thicker rope was around 1.00/ft and I got 40 feet but I had about 8-10 feet left over.  Per mirror I would guess I used about 15 feet of rope. Plus I bought some thinner rope to hide the cut edges of the thicker stuff.  More on that in a bit.
I dry-fit the rope around the outer edge of the mirror and then cut it off with some thick shears.  I used the glue gun to adhere the rope to the mirror, glueing all the way around.  I did that three times, making sure that the next row of rope was really tight to the previous row so that the mirror wasn't visible between the rows.
Once I had the three rows in place, I need to cover up the cut edges of the rope.  I used some thinner rope and tucked and then glued it in place. It hides the cut edges really well and adds a nice detail to the mirror.

 The final result:
I've wanted to do something like this for a long time and it was totally one of those "Why did I wait so long" projects.  It could not be easier!
I linked up to Thrifty Decor Chick.
I linked up to Mondy Funday at *View Along the Way*

Follow Me on Pinterest


  1. Pinning this for my next project, hope you will stop by my blog and check out my TB roll sequins mirror

  2. Stopping over from the Monday Funday party to say hello and I love your mirror! Thanks for sharing and am pinning! Have a great week. ~Cindy,

  3. What a cool idea...I might have to try one too!!

  4. What a cool idea. So creative. I would love it if you would share this on my Tuesday link party.

  5. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful idea! The mirrors are simply stunning!

  6. I LOVE the way these look - I am obsessed with rope but just recently realized that I need to splurge on the thicker rope because I love it soooo much more than the thinner rope. It's funny because I completed my mirror just a couple weeks after you posted this and wish I would have found this post first! I love my mirror, but will definitely be using the thicker rope next time around :)

  7. Master Framing are the experts in framing in Sydney.
    We specialize in memorabilia framing, custom picture framing, canvas stretching and photo mounting.
    We have grown into one of the most competitive picture framers in New South Wales,
    offering a large range of picture frames and picture framing services.

    mirror frames


I LOVE Comments! They really make my day....Go ahead and leave one.