Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Covering Chairs.

It was recently brought to my attention that we had a little problem in our house.  Some of the shorter members of our household had been using the bar-height chairs as scratching posts.  Let's just say the seats were looking a little worse for wear. 

Here's an example of the fine job my cats did destroying the chairs:



Nice, right?  If those furry buggers weren't so cute......

Instead of throwing those chairs in the garbage, (and shipping the cats off to the Humane Society),  I decided to recover them.  It's a simple and relatively inexpensive project.  It all starts with a trip to the fabric store.  I ended up renting/borrowing three fabric options from Joann Fabrics. You give them a deposit and they let you take home a sample of the fabric you've choosen. I really think it's an important step so that you can see what each sample looks like in your home.

Here's what I brought home with me:


This first sample is Crypton Veneto Woven in Ambrosia.  


Next up is Christopher Lowell Olympia in Champagne.

And finally:

I find myself singing: "One of these things is not like the other...."

This sample is Waverly Lovely Lattice in Lapis.

I took all three samples home to run them by the design committee (ie my husband). I had all but settled on the second sample by the time he got home from work.  But then I bullied him into choosing his favorite (he doesn't really like to pick this sort of stuff) and he picked.............. Waverly Lovely Lattice!  I took a second, harder look and realized it was my favorite too!  It was different and it happened to go well with the chairs, the table, the rug, and the wall color. I'm glad I went this direction!

And here's the big reveal....










I'm so glad that I went with the options that wasn't as "safe" as the first two. And I'm so glad I made my husband choose the one HE liked.  Without his input I probably would have gone down the same old path.

Stay tuned for a lesson in re-upholstering chairs.  I know you're all on the edge of your seat.  See what I did there?  That's funny.

Lindsay.




Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. I really like this pattern on the chairs. It looks so good in the room, and they're comfy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely love this pattern...it is bold but classy...now to keep the children/kitties away...

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments! They really make my day....Go ahead and leave one.