I think I took this picture as I was running past. Why is it so blurry? Oh well, this blog needs more action shots.
Moving on....We cleared the space out, removing the toilet, sink (which broke into a million pieces as soon as we moved it), and baseboards. Then my handy husband got working on laying some tile. I don't remember the name of the tile but it is a really beautiful linen-looking ceramic tile. The finish does really look like a linen fabric and I love it. It was a bit of a splurge (I think it came in at 300 dollars) but since the room is so small it makes a big impact. I asked for a discount and the really nice lady gave me 5% off (hey, it's better than nothing!).
Here we are mid-tile:
Ahh, that's better.
I came up with a solution to the bath/shower components. Rather than replace the entire fibreglass insert I decided to doing something radical. I decided to spray paint the components! That's right. Spray paint. I figured that I instead of living with gold fixtures, I would just spray them. If it didn't work, I was no worse off than if I left them alone. They would still work and be just as ugly as before.
I had already chosen a brushed nickel faucet and towel ring/bar so I bought some Krylon Brushed Nickel spray paint and went to town.
It worked! Well, it's not perfect, but it's also not an ugly gold color so I'm calling this one a success.
You can see some chips in the paint but I took these pictures nearly three years after I initially sprayed them so........I'll take it! And it's pretty easy to pop everything off and re-spray so if it ever gets really bad, I'll just re-do it.
Once the tile was grouted and the grout was sealed, we started putting it back together. And here's what we were left with:
|Whoops, there's nothing in those Ikea frames. Lol.|
I bought all the fixtures for the room from Home Depot. I bought the sink cabinet/countertop and mirror from a local hardware store that was having a sale. I took the shower rod almost to the ceiling and bought a new 96-inch shower curtain and liner from Target. I made the yellow curtain using some inexpensive fabric and a tension rod. The flowers above the toilet are from Amazon and are inspired by Serena's bedroom on Gossip Girl .
I did eventually get around to filling those empty frames. I don't think it's forever art, but it's better than Ikea paper.
Bath and Body Works now sells these decorative metal sleeves for their pump soaps. This style and finish just happened to be the most expensive (booo) but it was still only 7.50 so it didn't break the bank.
I'm calling this one finished. I am thinking about building a corner shelf to place next to the vanity for more storage and installing crown moulding, but for now it is complete.
One more time....The Before:
And the After:
And my guests wonder why I tell them not to use those towels......
I linked up to Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick